Thursday, April 21, 2011

Buddy Hackett


Not only imparting my vast comedy knowledge, this blog is also my own way of educating myself that little bit more. So we arrive at H for Buddy Hackett. I have to admit that my early knowledge of Buddy were a couple of TV sightings and the Herbie movie The Love Bug, but mainly for his use as cockney rhyming slang. Before I even knew he existed, I would often wear my nice 'Buddy', with my dad's excessive use of rhyming slang (he was an actual Cockney!) I know of a host of celebrities via their use as rhymes. Buddy Hackett of course refers to a jacket. I'm sure we'll stumble across more throughout this blog.

Hackett's close resemblance to Lou Costello saw him stand in for him in Fireman, Save My Life when Costello was taken ill and later play Lou in a biopic of the fiery double act. He was also asked to appear in the Three Stooges as a replacement for a sick Curly Howard but he declined. His 'replacement' status also saw him replace Art Carney on the long running Jackie Gleason Show.

Hackett's career was a full if disjointed one, his own sitcom (Stanley), some starring movie roles (It's A Mad Mad Mad World, The Love Bug), cartoon voice-overs (Little Mermaid), the chat & game show circuit (What's My Line, Hollywood Squares), celebrity judge (Last Comic Standing), Broadway  and singing (apparently recorded a version of Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini). He was known as a comedian and had numerous chat show appearances, cabaret and produced at least one live video.
Here's a bit of his stand up...



And here he is as Lou Costello performing the legendary Who's On First

v
Buddy Hacket was born Leonard Hacker August 31 1924 and died June 30, 2003.
His son Sandy Hackett is also a comedian, amongst other interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment